Christian - How to Become a Christian
How do I become a Christian? Is one of the most important question anyone could ever ask! And the answer to how someone becomes a Christian is not found in the opinions of man; it is found in the pages of the Bible! Here is what the Bible says about becoming a Christian:
1) In order to become a Christian you must hear the gospel (Romans 10:17). The gospel is all about the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and the gospel is the power of God for salvation (Romans 1:16). Without the death of Jesus Christ (the Son of God), there could be no salvation.
2) In order to become a Christian you must believe the gospel (John 3:16). Hearing the gospel is worthless to you unless you believe. You cannot be pleasing to God without believing in Him and His son (Hebrews 11:1-6).
3) In order to become a Christian you must repent of your sins (Luke 13:3; Acts 2:38). You cannot keep on doing what you have always done. Becoming a Christian requires that you die to yourself and your sins (Galatians 2:20). You must turn your back on your past and turn your face to God. Love Him with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. Submit to His will and trust in Him for your salvation.
4) In order to become a Christian you must confess your belief with your mouth (Romans 10:9-10). We must be proud of our belief in Jesus Christ and we must be willing to confess our belief in Him, even if it means we die for our faith (Revelation 2:10).
5) In order to become a Christian you must be immersed in water for the remission of your sins (Acts 2:38; Acts 22:16; Romans 6:1-5; Galatians 3:27-28; 1 Peter 3:21). At baptism the believer comes into contact with the death of Christ (Romans 6) and his sins are washed away (Acts 2:16). Being buried with Christ in baptism is absolutely essential to becoming a Christian.